Who the heck was C.W. Glover?


(I apologize for the poor image quality. I didn’t want to take the frame apart, and I’m not sure if it’s possible for our camera to take a picture without the flash.)

There’s a framed picture in our house, it’s actually the cover for a book of music. It’s a piano piece called "The Life of a Soldier" by C.W. Glover. What? You’ve never heard of C.W. Glover?

Apparently, you’re not the only one. There’s not even a Wikipedia article about him, and as far as I can tell, the only Wikipedia article that mentions him is an article about an Irish festival called "The Rose of Tralee", a festival whose name is inspired by a song whose music was written by Glover.

Charles William Glover was born in either 1797 or 1806, and died in either 1868 or 1863. He’s the composer for many timeless classics we all know and love, such as "The Life of a Soldier", "The Rose of Tralee", "Do they Think of me at Home", "The Poppy", and "The Life of a Sailor" (Cover seen below):


Glover must have been running out of ideas, repeating the same basic concept twice. No wonder he never made it big...

Still, I hate to see someone be forgotten in history, so I hope this recognition will serve as a humble tribute to the memory of Charles William, uh, whatever his name was.

EDIT: As of November 5th, 2011, there is an article about C.W. Glover on Wikipedia.

Comments

Popular Posts